You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imported photos to ip[hone but lost the folder names

I am trying to import photos from my iMac to my iPhone. I selected 5 folders from Mac Photos and the pictures imported successfully to my iPhone.

But all the folder designations disappeared so, while I have the photos, they aren't in folders and are all mixed together.

How can I import the photos and retain the folder names?

iPhone XS, iOS 12

Posted on Jun 30, 2019 5:55 PM

7 replies

Jul 1, 2019 11:17 AM in response to C Nelson

Have you been syncing the photos with iTunes to the iPhone?

if you just want to be able to view the photos on the ipHone and do not need them in the full resolution, you could sync them to the iPhone with shared albums. Shared Albums do not need paid cloud storage. Share a new shared album for each album of photos you want to transfer from your Mac to the iPhone. See: Use Shared Albums in Photos - Apple Support

But iCloud Photos Library, as recommended by OPT, would be the best solution, because it will simply keep the Photos Libraries on your iPhone and your Mac identical, and is perfect for syncing the Portrait Mode photos and Live Photos between the devices, and all adjustments you apply.

Jul 1, 2019 4:12 PM in response to C Nelson

The image files would be in your Photos Library and in the online iCloud Photos library. Any change made to a photo in your local library will be replicated in the online library.

If you are strapped for space on your Mac you can select the option to have optimized versions of the image files stored on your Mac with the full sized version online. However, any time you want to use the full sized version, i.e. slideshows, making books, printing copies, etc. you must wait for the full sized version to be downloaded to your local library.

Jul 1, 2019 4:25 PM in response to C Nelson

Any photo taken on the iPhone will be added to the iCloud Library and your Mac's Photos library. It will also be on your iPhone unless you opt for the Optimized storage.

The idea is to keep all devices, i.e. iPhones, Macs, iPads, etc. that are signed into the same Apple ID and have the iCloud Photos library enables have the exact same library.

Imported photos to ip[hone but lost the folder names

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.