You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mojave updates vs Adobe Photoshop cs5

I am currently behind the times, running Mojave 10.14.3 on my mid-2014 MacBook Pro. The initial Mojave release wreaked a bit of havoc with my Photoshop CS5, which continues to run, albeit somewhat glitchilly, despite getting an occasional "app not optimized for your Mac and needs to be updated" message upon launch, and a "Photoshop quit unexpectedly" after every quit.

So I hope understandably, I am extremely reluctant to install any more Mojave updates for fear of losing access to Photoshop altogether. My question therefore is: What are the probabilities of Photoshop/Illustrator CS5 ultimately becoming completely incompatible with Mojave (and its inevitable successor's) updates/upgrades? Advance thanks!

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 2, 2019 10:39 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2019 11:18 AM

Updates to Mojave should not affect the running of your apps, so update to 10.14.5 for the most recent security updates.

Adobe CS5 does not run smoothly on Mojave, see here, https://roaringapps.com/apps CS5.1 is more likely to work. Also open System Preferences> Security & Privacy>Accessibility and add Photoshop to the column on the right hand side, some people report doing this will get it to function properly.

The 32 bit app warning is a reminder that in the next macOS 10.15 Catalina which will be launched in the fall 32bit apps will no longer work and to check with the developers to see if they are offering 64bit alternatives. Some of the features of the Adobe CS5 suite use 32 bit apps, so you will lose out there, Adobe has no intention of updating those to 64bit.

you can also try doing a Command-i on the Adobe Photoshop.app to see if you can elect to run it in 32bit or 64bit mode.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 2, 2019 11:18 AM in response to anklebyter

Updates to Mojave should not affect the running of your apps, so update to 10.14.5 for the most recent security updates.

Adobe CS5 does not run smoothly on Mojave, see here, https://roaringapps.com/apps CS5.1 is more likely to work. Also open System Preferences> Security & Privacy>Accessibility and add Photoshop to the column on the right hand side, some people report doing this will get it to function properly.

The 32 bit app warning is a reminder that in the next macOS 10.15 Catalina which will be launched in the fall 32bit apps will no longer work and to check with the developers to see if they are offering 64bit alternatives. Some of the features of the Adobe CS5 suite use 32 bit apps, so you will lose out there, Adobe has no intention of updating those to 64bit.

you can also try doing a Command-i on the Adobe Photoshop.app to see if you can elect to run it in 32bit or 64bit mode.

Jul 2, 2019 1:55 PM in response to Eau Rouge

Thanks a million for your advice, red water. OK, if you recommend it, I'll go ahead and install 10.14.5 for reasons of security since it won't affect my beloved Photoshop (it is 5.1 after all. I hadn't noticed that very important little ".1" until just now). However, when Catalina hits the streets, I'll have to give some serious consideration to retiring my trusty old "Hamish MACbeth" here, reserving it just for graphics and investing in a new machine.

Merci encore une fois pour tes conseils bien reçus !

Mojave updates vs Adobe Photoshop cs5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.