You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Family sharing

Hi

We just got our son his first phone. When I tried to add family sharing onto his phone I wasn’t allowed, because he already has an iCloud account associated with his iPad. Am I supposed to use a new iCloud account for his phone?

Thank you,

Christine

iPhone XR, iOS 12

Posted on Jul 5, 2019 8:46 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2019 11:03 AM

Clarification questions - are you trying to sign into the phone with the same Apple ID that is used on the iPad? If you can't, what happens when you try? Error message(s)?

Is the ID on the iPad his Family Sharing ID? If so, it should work on the phone. You shouldn't have to use a new account for the phone.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 5, 2019 11:03 AM in response to Foreversarno

Clarification questions - are you trying to sign into the phone with the same Apple ID that is used on the iPad? If you can't, what happens when you try? Error message(s)?

Is the ID on the iPad his Family Sharing ID? If so, it should work on the phone. You shouldn't have to use a new account for the phone.

Family sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.