You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Startup Cross Sign

Hello!

Recently my hard-drive has been playing up on my macbook. I decided to restart in recovery mode and do a first aid on my laptop drive. Completed successfully but went to start up again and it comes up with a Apple logo then a circle with a cross through it. I looked up that it means my laptop does not support the software. I was on macOS Mojave (10.14.5) and have MacBook Pro 13” mid 2012. Mind you my hard-drive ticks all the boxes for a dying one so mabey I should replace it. It keeps clicking, the laptop freezes and applications load sort of slow. RIP MacBook ☹️. For the time I will restore from my time machine.

SPECS:

intel core i5

16 gb memory

500 go HDD, format APFS (case-sensitive) , 350 gb free space

I recently performed a hardware test (cmd + d startup) and the only issue was the battery

THANKS

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 7, 2019 8:51 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2019 4:01 AM

That symbol means it cannot find the startup code needed to boot the Mac, not exactly what you interpreted it to mean. That article seems to exclude the possibility that the boot files are damaged which technically is a Mac Operating System that can't be used.

Your disk is corrupted somehow.

You'll need to reinstall the OS or restore from your backup.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 8, 2019 4:01 AM in response to KurtABum

That symbol means it cannot find the startup code needed to boot the Mac, not exactly what you interpreted it to mean. That article seems to exclude the possibility that the boot files are damaged which technically is a Mac Operating System that can't be used.

Your disk is corrupted somehow.

You'll need to reinstall the OS or restore from your backup.

Jul 8, 2019 7:47 AM in response to KurtABum

Probable bad download - bad connection - system corrupted.

Sometimes you can repair this yourself - other times you have to go to apple store with your backup drive and let them install the OS again. It happened to me before.

This also can happen with upgrade on top of upgrade. Once and awhile it's a good idea to do a fresh install.

MacBook Startup Cross Sign

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.