You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i just bought a secondhand ipad mini but cant set it up it seems to have my very old email address in it and i dont remember the password for that. ive been using a different one for a few years now. how can i get it to use my current address?

How can I change my new i pad mini email address to my current one.? I can’t seem to set it up?

iPad mini, iOS 12

Posted on Jul 8, 2019 5:33 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2019 5:47 AM

I am confused on your question. You just bought a second hand ipad. So, you are not the original owner but somehow it has your old email address (Apple ID address?) on it. And you forgot the password for that ID. See if this helps recover your password: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201487. Once you get into it, I would erase it and restore it as new to enter the information that you want.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 8, 2019 5:47 AM in response to KcelAynneP-

I am confused on your question. You just bought a second hand ipad. So, you are not the original owner but somehow it has your old email address (Apple ID address?) on it. And you forgot the password for that ID. See if this helps recover your password: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201487. Once you get into it, I would erase it and restore it as new to enter the information that you want.

Jul 8, 2019 6:09 AM in response to KcelAynneP-

In addition to what kb1951 said, I too am confused and don't understand how a used iPad Mini could possibly have come with your old email address tied to it. If as I suspect, it's tied to the previous owners Apple ID and Password, you cannot use the iPad unless you can get the previous owner to remove their Apple ID from the iPad. If you don't know them or can't get their assistance, the device is useless to you. Apple won't help you and we can't help you if this is the case.

i just bought a secondhand ipad mini but cant set it up it seems to have my very old email address in it and i dont remember the password for that. ive been using a different one for a few years now. how can i get it to use my current address?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.