You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

blocking cookies in Safari

I have an iMac 14,3 running Sierra 10,12.6. Recently, out of curiosity, I erased all the cookies present in Safari. Then I turned on the 'do not allow cookies". I closed safari then reopened it and went to the cookies window. Everything was gone but even as I watched around a dozen or so reSaappeared. I repeated these steps numerous times and in various orders with the same result. The same cookies reappeared almost immediately. I inquired about one titled Outbrain. From what i read I do not want it on my machine. But, I don't know how to avoid Outbrain or any of the others that circumvent the "no cookies at all" rule.

Please help?

Posted on Jul 9, 2019 1:51 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2019 10:00 AM

Clear all history and web site data see this https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/safari/sfri47acf5d6/mac

This will remove cookies for the web sites that has been viewed , to stop cookies use private browsing see this article https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/safari/ibrw1069/mac

4 replies

Jul 10, 2019 9:40 AM in response to Eric Root

I tried your suggestions but nothing seems to effect the "invasion". And, from the message of Evercookie it seems a waste of effort to try and be picky about what's being put on one's machine. Blocking must work to some extent because I had to turn it off to login here. I added a list of those I can't stop. If any are true monsters maybe you can warn me. Just out of curiosity - would there be more control with a firewall of some kind? I really appreciate your time. Thanks.

Jul 9, 2019 1:55 PM in response to Gryphon11

As the 2nd article points out, they are capable of regenerating after deletion with files that go to many parts of the system.

Safari/Browsers – can’t delete cookies

Evercookie

The myth of the dangerous cookie 

Quit Safari.

In Finder go to Go menu and then Go to Folder.

Copy and paste this ~/Library/Safari/Databases.

Delete the contents of the folder.

Launch Safari again and check if all is ok.

If that doesn’t work, copy and paste this ~/Library/Safari/LocalStorage.

Delete the contents of the folder.

Then go to Safari/History and delete any entries for the related websites.

Test.

blocking cookies in Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.