You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm not getting mail to my dot mac account any more. Only dot me and dot icloud.

Why am I not getting my .mac mail any more? I'm getting mail but people are telling me their mail is bouncing back. I notice all of the mail I am getting is for .me and .icloud. No .mac mail. I've been using this address forever and can't remember all of the places it is registered to go and change it, nor tell all of the people I've given it to. Apple said .mac would continue as well as .me and .icloud. Has something changed? Is it not being supported any more?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 12, 2019 10:59 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2019 12:51 PM

Hi mlaiuppa.

Here are a couple of thoughts on the situation. (And I totally get it. As a proud mac.com guy for ages, it's also the only one I use. To me, it's like a little badge of honor.)

1) The people who tell you that messages to the mac.com address bounce back: Can you have one or more of them forward you the reply that they got saying the message failed? That response should contain some info on *why* sending to that address failed.

2) As iCloud email accounts are all IMAP format, the messages are stored on the server and not just on your device. This makes it safe to delete the account and then add it back. That one simple step will often rectify many mail issues. On a Mac, start at Mail > Preferences > Accounts and uncheck the box that says "Enable this account." Then, reboot and re-enable the account and test. If it's still not working, use Mail > Accounts or the Internet Accounts panel of System Preferences to uncheck the Mail option. Then, again, reboot and re-enable.

Cheers!

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 18, 2019 12:51 PM in response to mlaiuppa

Hi mlaiuppa.

Here are a couple of thoughts on the situation. (And I totally get it. As a proud mac.com guy for ages, it's also the only one I use. To me, it's like a little badge of honor.)

1) The people who tell you that messages to the mac.com address bounce back: Can you have one or more of them forward you the reply that they got saying the message failed? That response should contain some info on *why* sending to that address failed.

2) As iCloud email accounts are all IMAP format, the messages are stored on the server and not just on your device. This makes it safe to delete the account and then add it back. That one simple step will often rectify many mail issues. On a Mac, start at Mail > Preferences > Accounts and uncheck the box that says "Enable this account." Then, reboot and re-enable the account and test. If it's still not working, use Mail > Accounts or the Internet Accounts panel of System Preferences to uncheck the Mail option. Then, again, reboot and re-enable.

Cheers!

Jul 13, 2019 11:10 AM in response to mlaiuppa

Hi mlaiuppa and welcome to Apple Support Communities.

I see you are having some issues with a mac.com email alias tied to your Apple ID. You can check here for info on how it is determined (based on the age of the account) whether the account will be icloud.com only or also include me.com and mac.com

iCloud: About your @icloud.com, @me.com, and @mac.com email addresses - Apple Support

However if .mac was working for you recently, this is probably not the issue.

On an iOS device, if you open Settings > Passwords & Accounts > iCloud and then scroll to the bottom and tap Email under the Advanced heading, do you see all three account variations under the Allow Sending From heading?

If you try to send yourself an email to the mac.com variation, does it come through?

The more specific info you can offer, the better the chance that the Community can address your concern.

Best regards.

Jul 13, 2019 12:15 PM in response to Teddy_B

Yes, it was working until recently. I was told that my icloud was getting full so I dumped a bunch of stuff. ME and ICLOUD still work and I receive mail addressed to them but the MAC no longer receives mail. I did send a message to myself from me.com to mac.com and I got it, but only that one. Nothing from anyone else.

I have allowed sending from all three accounts on my laptop, iPad and iPhone. And I can send , I just can't receive from the mac.com account from anyone else. All of my subscriptions and such weren't arriving and I didn't notice. Then people started calling me and telling me my mail was bouncing back. I'm afraid to send from my mac.com account if I can't receive any back.

I spent the day yesterday contacting all of my friends and telling them to update my e-mail to ME.com and then going to every website I could think of and updating my account to me.com. It was a nightmare. And I'm still not done as some I couldn't change so will have to wait until Monday and then make tons of customer service calls.

Jul 18, 2019 1:29 PM in response to CarlAVII

OMG! I think it's working again.

This is what I did.

I went to mail preferences and unchecked the mac.com.

Then I quit mail.

Then I opened the mail and I had no mail at all. My yahoo account was the primary for some reason.

I went into mail preferences and I checked the mac.com e-mail.

Then I changed the primary to me.com, just to make sure I still get my mail.

Then I quit and I opened it again.

Then I went to Yahoo news and I e-mailed my self an article from their website using the mac.com com and it arrived. Previously on July 12 I tried this and the article did NOT arrive. So I think the mac.com address is working again.

Thanks so much. Would have never thought of this but it worked and I will remember it in the future if I ever lose it again.

Unfortunately I just spent a ton of time redoing every website I could think of to the new e-mail account and notifying most of my address book. But it's nice to know that if I missed anyone and anything, I'll get the mail now.

Thanks so much.

Jul 18, 2019 6:30 PM in response to sterling r

I spoke too soon. It's still not working. I can receive mail to my mac.com account if I sent it from my me.com or icloud.com accounts but when I try to send it from my yahoo.com account, it doesn't arrive.

This is what is says:

"Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.

<mlaiuppa@mac.com>:

Unable to deliver message after multiple retries, giving up."

That's all the information there is.

I'm not getting mail to my dot mac account any more. Only dot me and dot icloud.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.