You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble using IPad 6th generation to send and receive messages

I am having problems sending and receiving messages from certain users. It works fine on my iPhone, but they won’t send/receive at all on new my iPad 6th gen. Some contacts work fine. I’m not sure what the problem is. We switched everything over from my IPad Air (contacts, etc) and changed the user info on that unit as well. Can someone help me?

Posted on Jul 12, 2019 2:41 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2019 3:24 PM

There are two very different types of messages:

• iMessages - Sent to/from other Apple users. Your iPad can send/receive these.
  • SMS text messages - Sent to/from cellular telephones. Your iPad has absolutely no capability to send or receive these. However, you may use Handoff in conjunction with your iPhone to have these messages forwarded to/from your iPhone. How to forward text messages on your iPhone - Apple Support
3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 12, 2019 3:24 PM in response to Georgiapeach58

There are two very different types of messages:

• iMessages - Sent to/from other Apple users. Your iPad can send/receive these.
  • SMS text messages - Sent to/from cellular telephones. Your iPad has absolutely no capability to send or receive these. However, you may use Handoff in conjunction with your iPhone to have these messages forwarded to/from your iPhone. How to forward text messages on your iPhone - Apple Support

Trouble using IPad 6th generation to send and receive messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.