You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Difference between iCloud Drive, Documents and Desktop

For any document I create I can save to any one of these 3 locations, but having read various FAQs etc, I still can't see how I should choose between them.

Thanks

Posted on Jul 14, 2019 11:19 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2019 11:53 AM

For syncing purposes, there is no difference.

It would be where they are stored on your Mac. Some apps may default to save your content to one of these locations.

When using your Mac, you may be looking at your desktop on screen whenever there is no app open. You won't see your documents or iCloud Drive folders unless you open them in the finder app.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 14, 2019 11:53 AM in response to SQ320

For syncing purposes, there is no difference.

It would be where they are stored on your Mac. Some apps may default to save your content to one of these locations.

When using your Mac, you may be looking at your desktop on screen whenever there is no app open. You won't see your documents or iCloud Drive folders unless you open them in the finder app.

Difference between iCloud Drive, Documents and Desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.