You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

import folders in photos as albums

Hello, I have trouble importing photo folders as albums, I tried to recommendation from apple and leonie, but instead of getting 1 folder with albums for the subfolders (for an example of 1 folder in finder with 10 subfolders with photos), I am getting 1 folder, with 10 subfolders, and in each subfolder one album; what am I doing wrong, can anyone help please?

Below the guidance from Leonie that I tried to follow:

You mean "Keep folder organization"? This checkmark in the Import panel will import the photos into albums, wehen you import photos from several folders at once. Photos will create an album for each folder you import, and if the folders are nested, it will create containing folders for the albums.

This way the folder structure on your disk will be reflected by the albums and folders in your Photos Library.

Posted on Feb 16, 2018 9:20 AM

View answer in context

iMac 27", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 15, 2019 6:23 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2019 10:59 AM

There is a solution to your problem. If you use this AppleScript you'll get what you want: Import Folders of Image Files into Library as Albums.

It gave me this in Photos

for this

The script compiled as an application can be downloaded from this tutorial site:  P01 - Applescripts from Photos’ User Tips Compiled as Applications

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 15, 2019 10:59 AM in response to budadirk

There is a solution to your problem. If you use this AppleScript you'll get what you want: Import Folders of Image Files into Library as Albums.

It gave me this in Photos

for this

The script compiled as an application can be downloaded from this tutorial site:  P01 - Applescripts from Photos’ User Tips Compiled as Applications

Jul 15, 2019 10:32 AM in response to budadirk

That's how the import is designed. For each folder of photos a folder and album is created with the same name. So for these folders of image files inside a folder titled "1999":

I get the following:

If I want to get rid of the sub folders I'll have to move the various albums to the 1999 folder and delete the sub folders. Tell Apple what missing features you'd like restored or new features added in Photos via Feedback - Photos - Apple

Jul 15, 2019 10:47 AM in response to Old Toad

thank you OT, this is what I was afraid of, I really don't understand the reason it was built like this though

I also tried the applescripts that you referred to in earlier posts to create albums from folders: initially it looked super, but after around 20 folders or so suddenly I only got error messages and there were only empty folders created; I tried to several times but always more or less same result; is there some kind of capacity problem?

Jul 16, 2019 9:37 AM in response to Old Toad

it is on an external HD; the permissions are fine, I checked; also, as I mentioned earlier, when I try to upload the same files in another sequence (one of the later folder that went wrong in te first attempt, put first) then they go through; it must be something to do with a max nr of pictures in 1 go, is that possible? anyway I think I will just have to drop the idea...

thank you anyway!

import folders in photos as albums

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.