You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mail hangs trying to add new mail account

I am attempting to add a new Mail account, and after filling out the email address, password and IMAP incoming and outgoing mail server, I got a spinning wheel forever. I tried the same thing on my wife's Macbook and it worked. What is happening? The Mail Connection Doctor shows nothing, and I already searched my Keychain Access for passwords/other things to clean out to no avail.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 15, 2019 4:30 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2019 5:02 PM

Password issues don’t usually show as hangs.

Reboot into Safe Mode, and try again?

Any add-on anti-virus or anti-malware apps, any add-on cleaners or optimizers, any add-on network firewall apps, or similar apps installed here? If so, then consider removing the add-ons as a test using the vendors’ instructions, reboot, and try again.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 15, 2019 5:02 PM in response to Buffcode18

Password issues don’t usually show as hangs.

Reboot into Safe Mode, and try again?

Any add-on anti-virus or anti-malware apps, any add-on cleaners or optimizers, any add-on network firewall apps, or similar apps installed here? If so, then consider removing the add-ons as a test using the vendors’ instructions, reboot, and try again.

Mac Mail hangs trying to add new mail account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.