You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost Iphone 7, Need help urgently!

Hello Everyone, I got my iphone 7 stolen and I wanted to erase the data and also remove my apple id from the device and so that it goes back to the factory settings and who ever stole it would feel free to use the phone cause it would't have an apple id or wouldn't be icloud locked. Then when that person uses it I plan to track them using the IMIE number.

so my question is

1- Should I first remotely erase the phone and then remove the device using I cloud or vice versa?

2-does the fact that i have a 2 factor authentication set on my phone block me from erasing the phone successfully?

and any additional advice and quick response would very much be appreciated.

Thank you

iPhone 7, iOS 12

Posted on Jul 18, 2019 4:32 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2019 4:40 AM

These are the steps you should follow:--> If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is lost or stolen - Apple Support

DO NOT remove you device from iCloud.

Regards

Giulio

Similar questions

12 replies

Jul 18, 2019 4:58 AM in response to QuickTimeKirk

Thank you very much for your quick response.

I know if i just leave the phone as it is and just put it on lost mode they can never use the device but then they would end up disassembling the device to use the parts for other phones. That's what they do where I am from. If the phone is not icloud locked they would sell it to a user and if the phone is icloud locked they would disassemble it and sell the parts. So I am trying to avoid that and let them use the phone so that I can track them. I have a friend who works at the telecom company and is ready to help me track them using the IMIE when they put in their simcard but for them to be able to use it I have to erase all the contents to factory settings. I thought it would be smarter than letting them disassemble the phone and loosing the phone forever. What do you think?

Lost Iphone 7, Need help urgently!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.