You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Homepod Issues

Hi,

I'm having a couple of issues with my HomePod. It's possible that it's a single issue which has multiple symptoms, which I'm hoping is the case. I have tried searching on here and on Google in general but nobody seems to have my exact problem(s).

What works:

• Playing/pausing music via tapping the top of HomePod.
  • Playing/Pausing music via tapping HomePod within the Home app.
  • Playing/pausing and asking for different songs via 'Hey Siri' on HomePod.
  • 'Hey Siri' including location-based stuff like weather without telling it where we are.

What does not work:

• AirPlay from my iPhone 7+ on iOS 13 beta (not available in the list for selection).
  • AirPlay from my wife's iPhone 6s on iOS 12 (not available in the list for selection).
  • Pairing Philips Hue hub via Hue app on either iPhone.
  • Pairing Philips Hue hub via Home app (scanning or manually typing the code) on either iPhone.

I have tried the following:

• Setting up HomePod with my own account via iOS 13 as well as deleting that home, resetting the HomePod and then setting it all up with my wife's account via iOS 12.
  • Resetting Philips Hub.
  • Pairing the hub from both iPhones - repeatedly!
  • Leaving the Home set up and power cycling the HomePod.

I'm pretty stumped! HomePod is certainly connected to the wifi and we definitely only have one wifi network. We also have an Ikea Tradfri hub and a couple of their smart bulbs. The initial connection to the hub was not good, took a few attempts, but it connected in the end. I thought the problem must have been with the 'cheap' Ikea smart stuff, however I'm having the same issue, just worse, with the Hue stuff.

Both of the hubs (Ikea Tradfri and the Philips Hue) work perfectly well with their respective apps, so I don't imagine the issue lies with them. All of the smart devices, iOS devices and HomePod itself have the latest software.

I think that the fact that HomePod doesn't show in AirPlay as an option on either of our phones is either connected or indeed the cause of this issue.

HomePod has, in the past, shown up for both myself and my wife as an option to play our music through via AirPlay, so it isn't likely to be a hardware issue either...

Please, if anyone has any ideas, let me know! :)

Thank you!

HomePod

Posted on Jul 18, 2019 5:59 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2019 6:13 AM

Have you tried rebooting your router? You could try adding address reservations for your various devices in case that helps. If your router supports both 2.4GHz and 5GHz radio try turning the 5GHz radio off.

tt2

Similar questions

3 replies

Jul 19, 2019 1:39 AM in response to turingtest2

I can't believe this has solved my issue! Thank you!

I also can't believe I never tried rebooting the router! (I tried pretty much everything else!).

I will check the 2.4GHz and 5GHz settings tonight when I get home though as this could well be the issue as the Ikea hub/lights were working this morning via the Home app and the Ikea app, but the Hue lights were only working via the Hue app, and not via the Home app, but another reboot of the router sorted that.

Thanks again - would you believe I worked in IT support?

Homepod Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.