You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Enable Family Sharing on Existing Devices with Same Apple ID

How do I enable family sharing on devices that are already set up? They all use a single Apple ID account. (Users were set up long ago when Family Sharing didn't exist, in case anyone wonders why it's this way). I've set up each user with their own Apple ID so I can transition them to it.

I'm looking for the workflow to ensure that all apps and their data (e.g., game levels), notes, etc. are accessible after the transition from the existing Apple ID to the new ones. Is it as easy as logging out of the Apple ID on the device, logging in with the new one, sending an invite from my account, and using them? It seems that would be it, but nothing I've found online indicates whether data will be lost or inaccessible during that transition.

I don't like having all devices on one Apple ID because I've had addresses and other things shared when I didn't want them to. It's too easy for, say, my daughter to click a dialogue box and start receiving my messages or me hers (which has happened).

Thanks.

iPhone 6, iOS 11

Posted on Jul 19, 2019 10:17 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2019 10:24 AM

There isn't a way to ensure 100% of the data will be saved/available. There may be some data loss, but you can minimize it. If syncing photos with iCloud, ensure Optimization is turned off in Settings/Your Name/iCloud/Photos and/or in Photos/Preferences/iCloud. Then make sure full resolution photos are on the device/computer. When signing out of iCloud, if asked whether you want to retain data, choose yes. Messages conversations will be lost if they are addressed to the ID. See the article below for other places that the old ID should be removed. See Winston Churchill's response in the below discussion. Then invite the ID to join Family Sharing to keep access to the apps/purchases. 

How to transfer all files from one iCloud account to another

Apple ID email address or password - What to do after you change

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 19, 2019 10:24 AM in response to KPKilburn

There isn't a way to ensure 100% of the data will be saved/available. There may be some data loss, but you can minimize it. If syncing photos with iCloud, ensure Optimization is turned off in Settings/Your Name/iCloud/Photos and/or in Photos/Preferences/iCloud. Then make sure full resolution photos are on the device/computer. When signing out of iCloud, if asked whether you want to retain data, choose yes. Messages conversations will be lost if they are addressed to the ID. See the article below for other places that the old ID should be removed. See Winston Churchill's response in the below discussion. Then invite the ID to join Family Sharing to keep access to the apps/purchases. 

How to transfer all files from one iCloud account to another

Apple ID email address or password - What to do after you change

Jul 20, 2019 11:39 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks. That's most helpful. Just so I'm clear... The article lists several places to log out with Apple ID (App Store, FaceTime, iCloud). So does this mean I could sign into each of these with different Apple IDs? My mail concern is with FaceTime and Messages being available on multiple devices. I'd prefer the App Store be left as-is.

Jul 20, 2019 11:52 AM in response to KPKilburn

You are welcome. After signing out, normally, each user would sign into the listed places using their new ID on their device/computer. If Family Sharing is set up and everyone has joined, there isn't a need to use the old, shared ID in the App Store, but you can if you want to. Your choice.

If they sign into Messages/FaceTime with their new ID, all conversations and FaceTime connections should be different.

Enable Family Sharing on Existing Devices with Same Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.