You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Steps to restore an iPhone paired with an Apple Watch

Hi. I have an iPhone X and an Apple Watch Series 4. I want to know how to exactly proceed to restore the iPhone from an iCloud Backup correctly to not interfere with the Apple Watch. Do I have to unpair the Watch? Or simply I turn off the watch, then I restore the backup and when restored I turn on the watch again? If it is possible to do it without unpairing I’d order because u don’t want two watch sources showing on the Health app. I don’t want to lose any of the activity and rings data (everything is synchronised on iCloud).

Thank you in advance.

iPhone X, iOS 12

Posted on Jul 19, 2019 12:41 PM

13 replies

Jul 19, 2019 1:49 PM in response to AFRJ

Thanks. I’d prefer not to unpair the watch if possible. I’m thinking about the tricky I talked about on my post: I turn off the watch so it doesn’t realize about the process of restoring the watch. When I turn it on again, it should be paired with the restored iPhone. It’s a thought, I’ll wait for someone to confirm or deny this idea.

Jul 24, 2019 12:49 PM in response to Juanpermon

You can see it more than once if you rename a watch, if you change phones or phone names, depending on how much Health data you have on the phone. If you are really worried about the number of listings, you can remove them, however that also removes the health data that was collected by that particular device. I'm not sure you want to do that. If you don't open sources and look, you won't see all of that. I've tested a number of devices over the years to help people make sure they work. My Health Sources area looks like an encyclopedia. It doesn't bother me in the least bit, although I could remove some of the data since many of them are short tests. However since I would wear a watch a day or two when testing, it would keep my health data current, which is what I want.

Steps to restore an iPhone paired with an Apple Watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.