You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Photos on mac are taking my local storage

Hi there.

Recently i uploaded 50 gb's of my photos to my iCloud storage, and decided to open Photos app on my mac, i was thinking that it won't download all photos to my mac, now 50 gb's of my local storage is taken by photos and i don't know what to do. Only option i have now on my mac is to 'Use iCloud to upload them' again but my photos are already on my icloud!

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 20, 2019 7:17 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2019 8:30 AM

In the Photos app on your Mac, go to Photos Preferences, click iCloud in the bar at the top of the Preferences window. Is "Optimize Mac Storage" selected there?

Also read the fine print there -- photos are only optimized if the Mac is low on space.

Note that Apple does not offer cloud-only storage for Photos.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 20, 2019 8:30 AM in response to artem268

In the Photos app on your Mac, go to Photos Preferences, click iCloud in the bar at the top of the Preferences window. Is "Optimize Mac Storage" selected there?

Also read the fine print there -- photos are only optimized if the Mac is low on space.

Note that Apple does not offer cloud-only storage for Photos.

iCloud Photos on mac are taking my local storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.