You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with iPhone Phone Numbers

I am having several problems with the phone numbers in my iPhone Contacts.

1. The numbers no longer show as being 'formatted'. Usually (since I am in the USA), the numbers would show as (123) 456-7890. Now they show as 1234567890.
  2. When I attempt to enter a new phone number, it acts like the phone number is for a different country. Parentheses appear after entering the first 2 numbers (not the first three, like usual). When I enter the 6th number, the parentheses disappear (surrounding the first 2 digits), and it becomes just a string of digits. When I enter the 9th digit, the phone number looks like (12) 345 67 89. Entering the 10th digit reverts back to just a string of numbers.

The problem 'may' be due to the fact that I have my iPad running a beta version of the new iPadOS operating system, and my contacts are being sync'd via iCloud to both my iPad and iPhone. However, the iPad contacts look correct.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 12

Posted on Jul 20, 2019 10:32 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2019 10:37 AM

While it may have something to do with the beta software, that cannot be discussed here on the public forum. It is a violation of the Terms of Use and the NDA that you signed to participate in the beta. However, check your region settings on the iPad, and if that is correct, then report the issue with the feedback app you received as part of the beta program.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 20, 2019 10:37 AM in response to Coder0504

While it may have something to do with the beta software, that cannot be discussed here on the public forum. It is a violation of the Terms of Use and the NDA that you signed to participate in the beta. However, check your region settings on the iPad, and if that is correct, then report the issue with the feedback app you received as part of the beta program.

Jul 20, 2019 10:55 AM in response to rckingsley

Check to see if you have Dial Assist turned on in Settings>Phone. You can also log into iCloud on a computer browser and check settings. Go to Contacts, at the bottom of the page, click on the little gear, then tap Preferences. Check the Format area. Layout United States and Automatically Format Phone Numbers checked.

If all of that is formatted correctly, then it is a possibility the iPad has something to do with it, and you would be encouraged to report that through the feedback app.

Jul 22, 2019 11:35 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Excellent suggestion (thanks). Regrettably, that didn’t change anything. Also, the formatting of the phone numbers on both iCloud and my Mac appear fine. However, the formatting of the numbers on my Apple Watch are messed up the same as my iPhone (my watch is not w/ GPS, so it’s paired with my iPhone).

I even noticed that the first 2/3 digits of the phone number (and the total # of digits) determine what first numbers get surrounded by parenthesis. Most of the time, when I enter a number, the first two digits get them. However, if I start with 800 or 180, then the first three digits get the parenthesis (as long as the total # of digits is 3, 4, 5, 9, or 10 [and the number is formatted as (800) 5551 212]).

i think my next steps are to go to a local Genius Bar, then (if that doesn’t work) pay for a call to AppleCare. Ah well...

Thanks to all that provided thoughts and suggestions.

Jul 22, 2019 11:48 AM in response to rckingsley

Sorry that didn't work. Strange since all of your devices are set to the correct region. I would hate to recommend a restore, but that is the next step in troubleshooting. Up to you if you wish to try it. Start with a restore from backup, if that does not get it, restore to factory, set up as new phone. Then log into iCloud and turn on Contacts and see how they look. If you live close to an Apple Store, you can make an appointment and go in for help too.

Jul 22, 2019 7:35 PM in response to rckingsley

Yes, I had updated my iPhone and my iPad. I figure the update of the iOS would have been similar to a restore, which refreshed the iOS. I suspect that is what did it. You would have gotten there had you gone that restore route I mentioned in my last post, but I'm glad you didn't have to and deal with restoring content and hoping nothing got lost. Glad it is all fine now.

Problem with iPhone Phone Numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.