You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can Apple remote wipe a iPhone on request

As the title suggests can Apple remote wipe a iPhone on request?

Im in a rare situation where I got a contract out for my parents foster child (at the time we were going to adopt him and he was like my brother, but then he went full circle and left the family in bad terms).

I got him a iPhone XS Max on contract, which he is refusing to return and after contacting the police they’ve said it’s a domestic issue and won’t do anything about it.

I’ve blocked the IMEI and sim, but want to remote wipe the phone. The block I believe should mean he can’t activate it and basically turn it into a brick (which he’s much more likely to return).

The only issue is it was setup to his Apple ID, so I can’t complete in the Find My apps as require his password.

I’ve all proof of ownership which I can provide if this is possible and required.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

iPhone XS Max

Posted on Jul 21, 2019 5:02 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2019 6:15 AM

No, Apple will not get involved in that sort of situation. No company would do so nor would their be any legal basis for them to do so. You said you gave the phone to that person, and it’s setup under their AppleID. That means it’s their device legally which is why the police wouldn’t get involved either (proof of purchase of a gift doesn’t establish ownership).

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 21, 2019 6:15 AM in response to DanielMoore

No, Apple will not get involved in that sort of situation. No company would do so nor would their be any legal basis for them to do so. You said you gave the phone to that person, and it’s setup under their AppleID. That means it’s their device legally which is why the police wouldn’t get involved either (proof of purchase of a gift doesn’t establish ownership).

Can Apple remote wipe a iPhone on request

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.