You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Not Recognising iPod Classic

I have a 160GB iPod Classic that I've not been able to use for the past week. My computer recognises it. If I right-click on it, it takes 10 minutes for the menu to open. iTunes itself does not recognise it.

It all started when I was adding some more songs. They never carried over, but my iPod still worked. I tried again and it got stuck on verifying. I tried restoring the iPod and it got stuck on restore. I had to perform a clean uninstallation. I then attempted restoration again and since then, regardless of if I connect in disk mode or not, iTunes does not seem to recognise my iPod.

Now I just can't get it working. All the youtube tutorials I see seem to suggest that it should be using a driver called "usbaapl64" and when I try and do anything with the device manager, it insists upon using something called "WPD FileSystem Volume Driver". Idk if that's important.

It actually appears that my device manager now thinks that "WPD FileSystem Volume Driver" is the name of the iPod by the looks of things.

I am so lost. Do you think I should see if an Apple shop can restore it? Is there a charge for that? Would I have to book an appointment?

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Posted on Jul 29, 2019 5:21 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2019 7:46 AM

The hard drive in your classic is dead with reallocations maxed out. You can investigate your options for replacing the hard drive, either like for like or with an SD card adaptor of some kind.

tt2

Similar questions

4 replies

iTunes Not Recognising iPod Classic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.