You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keynote: will videos play on another device?

I create presentations on Keynote and then send them to my clients to view. I like to add videos to my presentation. I am wondering if the videos add are "embedded" into the file I send or are simply triggering the video to play on my own laptop? My questions:

1) If they are using Mac with Keynote, will the video's play for them?

2) If they do not us a Mac, will thy play?

3) is there a way to increase the likelihood of compatibility? Converting to a Preview file for example?

4) if none of the above, is it better to simply provide a link to a Youtube or Vimeo hosted video?

MacBook

Posted on Aug 2, 2019 9:20 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2019 6:09 AM

if the videos are "embedded" into the file

to embed media into the Keynote file, go to: Keynote > Preferences > General tab and select "copy audio and movies into document"

If the video plays correctly on your system, they should play fine on other Macs with a recent version of Keynote installed

Keynote files can only be played on Mac

For other operating systems export to Movie (File > Export > Movie)

3) is there a way to increase the likelihood of compatibility? Converting to a Preview file for example?

Preview can not open convert or play video, export to movie as stated above

4) if none of the above, is it better to simply provide a link to a Youtube or Vimeo hosted video?

That is another alternative if considered practical

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 3, 2019 6:09 AM in response to AndyPeardrop

if the videos are "embedded" into the file

to embed media into the Keynote file, go to: Keynote > Preferences > General tab and select "copy audio and movies into document"

If the video plays correctly on your system, they should play fine on other Macs with a recent version of Keynote installed

Keynote files can only be played on Mac

For other operating systems export to Movie (File > Export > Movie)

Preview can not open convert or play video, export to movie as stated above

That is another alternative if considered practical

Keynote: will videos play on another device?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.