You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage notification banners not showing up on MacBook Air

I am very perplexed as to why iMessage notifications are not showing up on my MacBook Air as banners in the upper right hand side? I think they used to, but for some reason, it has stopped. I believe I have everything setup properly in settings. I can see a badge when I receive a message, but no banners. What does it mean by "show message preview" when unlocked vs. always?

I have my cell # registered for iMessage on all my iOS devices (iPhone and iPad and MacBookAir), as well as my email address. The messages show up no problem on the notifications screen on my phone. But, I only see a badge on iMessage (when not running) and I never see notifications even when iMessage is running.

Should I try a reset? I'm running OS high sierra 10.13.6

Also - what is the advantage of registering both a cell # and email address for contactable options in iMessage? Thanks.

MacBook

Posted on Aug 6, 2019 6:49 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2019 7:18 PM

Settings look right.

To find out if it's system wide or user specific, try this...

Open System Preferences>Users & Groups, unlock the lock, click on the little plus icon, make a new admin account, log out & into the new account.

Does it work in the new account?

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 6, 2019 7:18 PM in response to camdvm

Settings look right.

To find out if it's system wide or user specific, try this...

Open System Preferences>Users & Groups, unlock the lock, click on the little plus icon, make a new admin account, log out & into the new account.

Does it work in the new account?

iMessage notification banners not showing up on MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.