You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

32-bit applications?

I checked the system report and found many 32 bit applications -- it seems a bit daunting to have to contact all these vendors. I don't think I have the inclination to do all this.. But I have Microsoft office that I've used for many years --- I'm guess the only thing to do is buy an upgraded version ---

is this correct?

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Aug 8, 2019 8:13 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2019 8:22 AM

If you continue running Mojave, you do not need to do anything as both 32 and 64-bit applications remain supported. If you plan to upgrade to Catalina (10.15) this Fall, then you will need either a current Office365 subscription, or the single purchase Office 2019 for Mac — both are 64-bit, so yes, you will need to spend some money with Microsoft.

Also, If you plan to upgrade to Catalina, none of your 32-bit applications will function, and yes, you should check with every vendor of those applications (that you want to keep), to see if they offer a 64-bit version. If it is a critical application and the vendor does not provide a 64-bit update, you may want to reconsider the Catalina upgrade.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 8, 2019 8:22 AM in response to j p from thenorth

If you continue running Mojave, you do not need to do anything as both 32 and 64-bit applications remain supported. If you plan to upgrade to Catalina (10.15) this Fall, then you will need either a current Office365 subscription, or the single purchase Office 2019 for Mac — both are 64-bit, so yes, you will need to spend some money with Microsoft.

Also, If you plan to upgrade to Catalina, none of your 32-bit applications will function, and yes, you should check with every vendor of those applications (that you want to keep), to see if they offer a 64-bit version. If it is a critical application and the vendor does not provide a 64-bit update, you may want to reconsider the Catalina upgrade.

32-bit applications?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.