You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sync not removing unchecked songs from iPhone Xs

I have an iPhone Xs running iOS 12.4.

My MacBook Pro is running OS X 10.14.5.

My iTunes version is 12.9.5.5.

I recently decided there were a bunch of songs synced to my iPhone that I didn't want on there anymore. I unchecked them in my iTunes sync. I double-checked to make sure the albums those songs are tied to were also unchecked. But, the songs are still on my iPhone.

I looked for other threads about this topic - unchecked songs not being removed when a sync is performed - but the ones I'm seeing are 5+ years old.

Is there something simple I'm overlooking?

iPhone XS

Posted on Aug 8, 2019 1:33 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2019 2:08 PM

This seemed to work:

1. Reselected the songs I no longer want.
  2. Synced phone.
  3. Unselected the songs I no longer want.
  4. Synced phone.

The songs I no longer want still show on the phone, but they are greyed out and have the cloud link next to them (which is what I was expecting, but not seeing before).

Thanks, tt2!

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 8, 2019 2:08 PM in response to turingtest2

This seemed to work:

1. Reselected the songs I no longer want.
  2. Synced phone.
  3. Unselected the songs I no longer want.
  4. Synced phone.

The songs I no longer want still show on the phone, but they are greyed out and have the cloud link next to them (which is what I was expecting, but not seeing before).

Thanks, tt2!

Aug 8, 2019 2:02 PM in response to turingtest2

I only have one manually synced track. The others that are unwanted (and unchecked) that are still syncing are *not* being manually synced.

I looked at the post on erratic syncing, but am not sure how it helps me. I realize I could do a back up of my phone, restore it as a new device, and restore my backup. But, my backup would include the songs I don't want, which seems to defeat the purpose.

Can you clarify?

Sync not removing unchecked songs from iPhone Xs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.