You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

error H.265 videos "not compatible"

Trying to play mp4s from my Mavic2 in Quicktime. Getting "error: H.265 videos not compatible". Click on "tell me more" and this link pops up:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207022

says they ARE compatible? It says specifically that Quicktime CAN.

"Support for HEIF and HEVC is built into iOS 11 and later and macOS High Sierra and later, letting you view, edit, or duplicate this media in a variety of apps, including Photos, iMovie, and QuickTime Player."

I just want to watch my videos in Quicktime. Simple. I don't want to have to convert them in Handbrake. That's arduous and takes time.

mac OS 10.12.6

Quicktime 10.4

DJI Mavic2 settings:

video size 3840x2160

video format mp4

color D-log M

camera video coding H.265

If I need to change these settings, I'll change them to may them Quicktime compatible. But again, the link above seems to say they are compatible.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Aug 9, 2019 6:20 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2019 11:27 PM

color D-log M

That would be a form of HDR10. Very useful if you do color adjustments in post processing. Maybe not so useful if you never do that post processing.

Your MacBook Pro won’t have a monitor capable of HDR10. It will show 8-bit per color channel (24 bit total). The HDR will be downsampled to SDR in playback.

But most importantly: H.265 support in QuickTime and others was added with macOS High Sierra 10.13, as your linked support document also indicates. mac OS 10.12.6 is not enough for H.265 playback in QuickTime Player.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 9, 2019 11:27 PM in response to glankrudolph

color D-log M

That would be a form of HDR10. Very useful if you do color adjustments in post processing. Maybe not so useful if you never do that post processing.

Your MacBook Pro won’t have a monitor capable of HDR10. It will show 8-bit per color channel (24 bit total). The HDR will be downsampled to SDR in playback.

But most importantly: H.265 support in QuickTime and others was added with macOS High Sierra 10.13, as your linked support document also indicates. mac OS 10.12.6 is not enough for H.265 playback in QuickTime Player.

error H.265 videos "not compatible"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.