You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Auto Correct in Numbers

In a Stock Market spreadsheet in numbers I'm trying to type MAR for Marriot Hotels but it keeps auto correcting to March. Turning on show suggestions in General Preferences doesn't help (maybe because it's a month?) Anyway, how do I get this to stop auto correcting? Thanks

Posted on Aug 13, 2019 12:13 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2019 2:05 PM

If you don't want to first format the cells as Text (select the cells and in the Cell tab of the inspector pane at the right choose Text in the 'Data Format' dropdown) you can simply type ' (an apostrophe) before the MAR.

The apostrophe will let Numbers know you mean text and it won't try to guess that perhaps you meant a date.

If you do reformat the cells as Text then of course you don't want to type the ' as Numbers will assume you really do want an ' before the text. But typing it can be a very handy way of preventing Numbers from guessing you mean a date.

SG

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 13, 2019 2:05 PM in response to santacruz831

If you don't want to first format the cells as Text (select the cells and in the Cell tab of the inspector pane at the right choose Text in the 'Data Format' dropdown) you can simply type ' (an apostrophe) before the MAR.

The apostrophe will let Numbers know you mean text and it won't try to guess that perhaps you meant a date.

If you do reformat the cells as Text then of course you don't want to type the ' as Numbers will assume you really do want an ' before the text. But typing it can be a very handy way of preventing Numbers from guessing you mean a date.

SG

Aug 13, 2019 1:30 PM in response to santacruz831

" Turning on show suggestions in General Preferences doesn't help"

Wouldn't expect it to, but I'm guessing that was a typo. and you meant "off"

"(maybe because it's a month?)" is likely correct. Numbers will accept short form month names as part of a Date, and automatically format the entry as a date and time value. You can confirm your guess with a glance at the box at the lower left of the document window—if the auto-completed "March" cell shows a Date and Time string for midnight on March 1, 2019, your guess is correct.

Is the 'data format' for the cell(s) where this is happening set to "Automatic"? If so, try changing it to "text" for the whole column.

Regards,

Barry

Aug 13, 2019 1:56 PM in response to Yellowbox

How do I format a cell as Text? Do you mean I should make a text box and write MAR inside of that? That would work but MAR needs to be part of the spreadsheet so it can connect with the internet and give me prices on the stock. As you can tell I'm a bit of a novice so thanks for your help.

For what its worth, one box where I typed MAR (and it auto corrected to March) the bottom left of the document says formatted. Another box where I type MAR (and it auto corrected to March) the bottom left of the document says text.

Chris

Aug 13, 2019 2:49 PM in response to SGIII

This worked also! Many thanks for this little shortcut.

chris

SG

Auto Correct in Numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.