You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Name of my computer in my Apple ID How do I change it?

When I got my new iMac computer, I used the information from my backup drive that is from my MacBook. Now I have two Mac computers: My iMac and my MacBook. The trouble is, they both call themselves "MacBook" with the original real MacBook calling itself MacBook (3)!! I find this most annoying and wish they could be called by the computer they are! Even better, why can't I call them Jane's MacBook or something like that? I can't find any help page or settings telling me how to do this and I didn't name them on my iCloud account on the apple website. Can anyone help? Thank you.

Posted on Aug 15, 2019 2:58 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2019 6:15 PM

To change the computer's name please do the following:

1. Open System Preferences.
  2. Click on Sharing.
  3. Click on the field Computer Name: at the top.
  4. Highlight the current name and enter a new one.
  5. Press enter or click anywhere in the window outside of the text field to set the new name.

4 replies

Name of my computer in my Apple ID How do I change it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.