You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't select "Show Sidebar" in PDF document.

Since I selected “Hide Sidebar” in a PDF file, it lost its PDF format. Since then, non of my PDF Files and Documents show their PDF format anymore. How can I get “Show Sidebar” back in these documents. There is no option for it in the View Menu.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Aug 18, 2019 7:57 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2019 8:10 AM

Try choosing Thumbnails (or one of the other options in the view menu).

In Preview, Hide/Show Sidebar isn't a toggle. You choose what you want to see in the sidebar, and to show nothing at all in the sidebar, choose Hide Sidebar.

5 replies

Aug 18, 2019 8:12 AM in response to margalina

In Preview, when you search for a word (⌘-F) and something is found then a Sidebar will open showing the matching page information. If you click View menu : Hide Sidebar, there is no Show Side bar retained on the View menu. In order to display the Sidebar again, you must click on either direction icon in the Found on _ page panel at the top right of Preview:

The Sidebar information is not stored in any PDF, and whether it is, or is not available is based on the results of a PDF find operation. It has no bearing on the format of the original PDF.

Can't select "Show Sidebar" in PDF document.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.