You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Weather app no longer working

Hi,

I have an old iPhone 4 that I would like to use.

I’ve noticed that its Weather app no longer provides weather data. I’ve checked an iPhone 3GS and found the same issue. As I have every generation of iPhone on hand, I checked them all - anything iPhone 4S and older is affected.

I’ve also noticed that you can’t add any new cities (the city search finds nothing), and when you tap on the Weather Channel and Yahoo Weather links at the bottom of the app, the links don’t reach anywhere.

Is it possible that the API between Apple and these weather sources have been updated, but Apple’s developers have forgotten to take care of these older (but still viable) devices? If so, anyone got a workaround?

Thanks!

iPhone 4 (8GB)

Posted on Aug 20, 2019 6:08 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2019 6:28 PM

On the older phones the Weather app was a joint project with Yahoo. In later phones Apple switched to the Weather Channel to provide data for the built in weather app and Yahoo no longer provides data for the older versions. You will have to find a 3rd party app that works with iOS 7.1.2.

4 replies

Aug 20, 2019 6:30 PM in response to repeatoffender

The information that you have provided is not sufficient for me to verify. As I too have iPhone 4 and 3GS, thought I do not use 3GS any more.

What is the iOS version on your iPhone?

How are you connecting to Internet?

2G/3G, Wifi, Hotspot?

Have you tried using other weather apps, say Yahoo etc.?

Have you allowed the Weather App to access your Location on your iPhone?

If you have any question with developers, you can ask right here --> Apple Developer Forums

Weather app no longer working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.