You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Securing unexpanded audio for initial edit

Clips introduced to Timeline have started to appear already Expanded and Refuse to collapse for initial edit assembly. Control S won't help and right click option to Collapse shows up grey. Where have I gone wrong?

Posted on Aug 21, 2019 8:34 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2019 6:24 AM

Didn't think of this before but there is one other thing. Go to the timeline Index and in Roles check that these buttons are not active

That's the only other thing I can think off. I don't know how you could that one by accident. I don't think are default shortcuts for them.

Similar questions

7 replies

Aug 23, 2019 8:08 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks Tom. Here are 2 Screen Shots - the lower one shoes the greyed Collapse option when Expanded clip is checked. Trying Control S just produces the 'can't do sound'. And the upper shot shows the original Clip from which the clip was added to Timeline - and presented with Expanded audio - from Browser. I believe I am 'in project' - hope 1st shot helps confirm that.

Project name is MoleWelcome 2.

I'm using a new 10.4.6 FCPX on a MacBook Pro running 10.14.6

Aug 24, 2019 5:22 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks for your help chasing this up - 2 more screen shots below. Project is called Computer Group and the name appears both at the top of the browser from where I am drawing the clips and in the centre top of the Timeline. I've been working on this video for about 3 weeks now, adding newly shot material to the compilation as it becomes available. I have shot all this AVCHD on the same camera and when I started on the assembly I was getting Collapsed clips - audio and video - from the imports as I would expect. Only recently have I been immediately presented with Expanded clips as I add them to the Timeline - with no apparent way of Collapsing them, as I would hope to have them for a much simpler initial assembly. If I stretch the video of newly added clips either forwards or backwards the Expanded audio does not stretch with the video - in fact is behaving as I would expect it to if I had chosen to request Expand Audio. I have been imagining that I have recently, inadvertently activated an instruction only to present Expanded clips - and to refuse to allow me to Collapse them via ^S or selecting the option in the Right Click Menu which is now greyed out. It looks as if this is not as simple a request for help as I hoped it would be. I really appreciate your interest and help.

Aug 25, 2019 7:23 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks Tom - I'm afraid I'm still finding my way around the great things that FCPX can do for me - and I must have been the guilty party (somehow?). Clips in Timeline are now appearing complete with video/audio collapsed - and are responding as I'd expect with all options open to me. Big thanks for your patience in pointing me to the solution - will look out for the up dated version of Making the Creative Leap.

Securing unexpanded audio for initial edit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.