You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't change from gmail to icloud Apple ID

I am trying to change may Apple ID, which was created using a GMail email address, in to an iCloud email address.

However, when I enter my iCloud email to change, on my iPhone, it says "You can only add the @icloud.com address that is already on file in your account." But it already is on file.

and when I try it on a Windows PC (After signing out from iPhone), it says "Apple ID cannot be changed at this time, try again later."

What could be the reason for this?

However, the iCloud email I'm trying to change to, is a new one. So is that the problem?

iPhone 6s

Posted on Aug 22, 2019 1:25 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2019 2:26 AM

OK: I would suggest leaving it for a couple of days or so and seeing whether it sorts itself out. It may be that if you've only just created the iCloud account it will take a day or two for the system to recognize it.

If it still doesn't work, you should approach support: https://getsupport.apple.com

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 22, 2019 2:26 AM in response to Haritha_Hasathcharu

OK: I would suggest leaving it for a couple of days or so and seeing whether it sorts itself out. It may be that if you've only just created the iCloud account it will take a day or two for the system to recognize it.

If it still doesn't work, you should approach support: https://getsupport.apple.com

Aug 22, 2019 2:14 AM in response to Haritha_Hasathcharu

What do you mean by 'created a new iCloud address'? It can mean one of two things.

1. You created a new iCloud account and chose and @icloud.com address for it. This is your main iCloud address and you can make it the Apple ID.
  2. You already had an iCloud account with an @icloud.com address, and you added an additional address in the form of an 'email alias'. You cannot make this into an Apple ID.

Aug 22, 2019 1:40 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Hi, thank you so much for replying.

When I created my apple ID, I used a gmail address. What I want to do is, I want to create a new icloud.com address and change my apple id to that address.

I created a new icloud address, and that address is shown as one of the aliases for my apple id.

Now, I want to remove the gmail account and change the name of the apple id to that icloud address's name.

is it possible to do so.

Can't change from gmail to icloud Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.