You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sorting Multiple columns doesn't work

MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 (18G87)

Numbers version 6.1 (6369)

I have two columns in a table.

I can sort each individual column by clicking on the Column header and choosing Sort in the drop-down menu. That of course changes the other column.

I want to be able to sort both columns, together, in ascending order.

I click on Organise>Show Sort Options.

I add both columns, click on "Sort Now" and nothing happens.

What am I missing here?

MacBook Air

Posted on Aug 26, 2019 4:34 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2019 5:44 AM

It appears to be sorted correctly now. When you create the sort, it does it as you are creating it. If you later add more items, you can hit "sort now" to re-sort the table. It is sorted first by column B, then by column C.

If, on the other hand, you were expecting columns B and C to be sorted independently, that is not how sorting works in Numbers. Rows stay together just like records in a database. Unless there is something new I am not aware of (and there may be), to sort a column independently you have to drag it out of the table (creating a new table), sort it there, then put it back.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 26, 2019 5:44 AM in response to gordonfromfoxt

It appears to be sorted correctly now. When you create the sort, it does it as you are creating it. If you later add more items, you can hit "sort now" to re-sort the table. It is sorted first by column B, then by column C.

If, on the other hand, you were expecting columns B and C to be sorted independently, that is not how sorting works in Numbers. Rows stay together just like records in a database. Unless there is something new I am not aware of (and there may be), to sort a column independently you have to drag it out of the table (creating a new table), sort it there, then put it back.

Aug 26, 2019 2:20 PM in response to gordonfromfoxt

Hi Gordon,

As has already been mentioned above, Numbers tables follow a database model. A sort on any column will sort the rows of the table according to the values in the column being sorted. It will not sort a single column without changing the order of the rest of the columns in that table.

To sort individual columns, you must remove that column (or its data) from the multi column table andplace it in a table of it's own., sort that column, then return the data to the original table.

For your case, using a six (or more column table on which you want columns B and C each sorted in ascending order, with no change in order of the other columns, here are the steps:

• select and copy the data in column B.
  • Click on an empty part of the sheet and paste to create a single column table containing that data.
  • Sort the single column table ascending, the select and copy the data in that column.
  • Click (once) on cell B1 of the original table. Paste.

The sorted data will be pasted into the column, replacing the original (unsorted) data in that column.

• Repeat with column C.
  • Delete the single column table(s) created for the sort.

Note: The process takes far less time than writing its description!

Rgards,

Barry

Sorting Multiple columns doesn't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.