You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I save an edited timeline after exporting a movie in iMovie 10.1.2 I can never save an edited version and starting a new project has my previous timeline in it. I need to go back and not lose all of my editing.

Hey Gang,

How do I save an edited timeline after exporting a movie in iMovie 10.1.2 I can never save an edited version and starting a new project has my previous timeline in it. I need to go back and not lose all of my editing that show up in my new project.  I have tried to import the finished iMovie to save the edits, but upon re-exporting it loses a generation of sharpness and is not exceptable or  sharp enough like the original.  

Please advise,

Chilly8863

Posted on Aug 26, 2019 3:38 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2019 7:21 PM

Hi,

When in your project, click on the Projects button in the upper left of your screen. That will close your project and return you to the Projects Browser screen where it will be saved and where you can start a new project.

Actually, iMovie saves your project automatically as you do your editing. All you need to do is close it per the above to move on to a new project. The first time that you close a newly created project you will get a little box that asks you what you want to name it. Closing the project after the first time will just return you to the Projects Browser screen.

You start a new project from the projects browser screen (where your projects are displayed as separate icons) and then clicking on the gray box with the + sign in it and then clicking on the Movie emblem that appears. If when you do that you are getting the timeline of your old project, then try this: Open iMovie while holding down the option and command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if everything works properly.

-- Rich

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 26, 2019 7:21 PM in response to Chilly8863

Hi,

When in your project, click on the Projects button in the upper left of your screen. That will close your project and return you to the Projects Browser screen where it will be saved and where you can start a new project.

Actually, iMovie saves your project automatically as you do your editing. All you need to do is close it per the above to move on to a new project. The first time that you close a newly created project you will get a little box that asks you what you want to name it. Closing the project after the first time will just return you to the Projects Browser screen.

You start a new project from the projects browser screen (where your projects are displayed as separate icons) and then clicking on the gray box with the + sign in it and then clicking on the Movie emblem that appears. If when you do that you are getting the timeline of your old project, then try this: Open iMovie while holding down the option and command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if everything works properly.

-- Rich

How do I save an edited timeline after exporting a movie in iMovie 10.1.2 I can never save an edited version and starting a new project has my previous timeline in it. I need to go back and not lose all of my editing.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.