You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Create a new network vs. extending a network?

I bought an Airport Extreme to provide better WiFi coverage in my house.

The Wifi was already established by a TimeCapsule and so I thought I should "extend a wireless network". I therefore chose that option and gave the APXtreme the same name and password for the network as on my Time Capsule.

It seemed to go fine and the Airport utility showed them both connected and everything green.

However, after a while the internet connection began to drop and show orange status in the utility.

Internet would be off for a few minutes at a time, but would always come back.

While trying to resolve the problem I reset the APX to standard settings from the Airport utility menu.

When it came back up it asked to extend an existing network, which I allowed.

After it finished setting up (I expected to have to give it WiFi name and password, but it figured that out by itself) the airport utility showed everything green and the internet is now stable.

What I find strange is that the APX setting for wireless is set to "Establish a new network", NOT "extend a wireless network" and everything seems stable, with no drop-outs for internet.

Both my TC and APX have the same WiFi name and password and moving around the house my iPad and iPhone always connect without question.

So, what is the "extend a wireless network" for if it creates conflicts?

AirPort

Posted on Aug 29, 2019 5:19 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2019 7:24 AM

Basically, it comes down to the way Apple decided to name their AirPort "extending options." By that I mean, when the connection between base stations will be wireless, you would select the "Extend a wireless network" option; whereas, if the connection between them will be wired, you would use the "Create a wireless network" option for the "extending" base station.

The latter configuration is also known as a roaming type network and offers better overall wireless bandwidth performance due to the Ethernet link between the stations. In both type of networks, you would want the base stations to use the same network name and wireless security type/password.

The "key to success" with the former type is where you place the extending station as it can only rebroadcast the existing wireless network with the same bandwidth that it receives it. I wrote the following user tip on this exact topic. If you are interested, here it is: AirPort - Optimal Base Station Placement - Apple Community

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 29, 2019 7:24 AM in response to 1gr8dane

Basically, it comes down to the way Apple decided to name their AirPort "extending options." By that I mean, when the connection between base stations will be wireless, you would select the "Extend a wireless network" option; whereas, if the connection between them will be wired, you would use the "Create a wireless network" option for the "extending" base station.

The latter configuration is also known as a roaming type network and offers better overall wireless bandwidth performance due to the Ethernet link between the stations. In both type of networks, you would want the base stations to use the same network name and wireless security type/password.

The "key to success" with the former type is where you place the extending station as it can only rebroadcast the existing wireless network with the same bandwidth that it receives it. I wrote the following user tip on this exact topic. If you are interested, here it is: AirPort - Optimal Base Station Placement - Apple Community

Create a new network vs. extending a network?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.