You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

nameofthegame

I keep asking this question and can't get an honest answer. Does iCloud compress pictures when uploading and downloading from iPhone to a PC. I have a 2.6 MB picture file on my iPhone 8. When I upload it to iCloud and then download it to my PC, the picture file is 670 KB, not nearly the quality of the iPhone picture. I've gone through all the settings and it should be storing a full version of the picture. But that's not what's coming back from iCloud. How do I preserve the 2.6MB file throughout the upload and download process.

Posted on Aug 29, 2019 5:59 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2019 9:26 PM

iCloud always maintains the original photo's resolution and size.

When you use iCloud.com to download, there are 2 options for downloaded size.

If you long press on the cloud/download icon, choose UNMODIFIED ORIGINAL size instead of most compatible.

Similar questions

4 replies

Aug 30, 2019 7:25 AM in response to LACAllen

OK, that's helpful, didn't know that. Thanks.

But.....the unmodified original is an HEIC file which is not compatible with standard Windows 10 photo programs. So I have to convert it to something Microsoft can use and thus I have to purchase another app from the Microsoft Store which I hate. Of course, Apple wants to also .zip multiple files on download which is a pain.

This is why big tech needs to be broken up...each of you want to control everything and can't seem to make it easy to share files. Ugh. Sorry for the rant but millions of others feel the same way.

nameofthegame

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.