You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Mac keeps restarting itself part way through bootup

My Mac keeps restarting itself part way through bootup. Have tried safe mode, recovery mode and Cmd-option-P-R. but it keeps happening and I can get no further

Posted on Aug 31, 2019 5:33 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2019 5:31 AM

yes to both the above. Also recovery and safe mode methods. whatever I try I just get the startup chime, the screen goes white and displays the apple logo with the progress bar below.

Soon as the progress is about 3/4 across the screen goes black, silent, and then starts all over again with apple logo and progress bar, this continues ad nauseam until I hard restart and fail another way.

Help

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 1, 2019 5:31 AM in response to HWTech

yes to both the above. Also recovery and safe mode methods. whatever I try I just get the startup chime, the screen goes white and displays the apple logo with the progress bar below.

Soon as the progress is about 3/4 across the screen goes black, silent, and then starts all over again with apple logo and progress bar, this continues ad nauseam until I hard restart and fail another way.

Help

Sep 1, 2019 9:22 AM in response to sachalew

Thanks for clarifying the details. Can you boot into Single User Mode using Command + S?

What is the exact model of the computer? You can get this information by entering your serial number here. What version of macOS is on the boot drive? I missed the fact earlier that you have a white screen on boot which indicates an older model computer.

My Mac keeps restarting itself part way through bootup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.