You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing Mailboxes in Apple Mail from Snow Leopard to Mojave

I want to import all my Mailboxes from the Mail app in Snow Leopard to the Mail app in Mojave using the Import Mailboxes file menu option in the Mojave Mail app.

There are 2 choices: Import data from Apple Mail or import data in mbox format.

Which one should I choose?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Sep 2, 2019 7:24 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2019 11:07 PM

As stated in the following support page, if you’re importing a mailbox exported from Mail or a folder in the ~/Library/Mail/V6 folder on another Mac, select Apple Mail. If you’re importing messages from a Windows or UNIX computer, select “Files in mbox format,” then locate the folder containing the files: https://support.apple.com/guide/mail/import-or-export-mailboxes-mlhlp1030/mac

In your case, since you're transferring mailboxes between Mail apps, the first choice is appropriate.

11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 2, 2019 11:07 PM in response to tkadell

As stated in the following support page, if you’re importing a mailbox exported from Mail or a folder in the ~/Library/Mail/V6 folder on another Mac, select Apple Mail. If you’re importing messages from a Windows or UNIX computer, select “Files in mbox format,” then locate the folder containing the files: https://support.apple.com/guide/mail/import-or-export-mailboxes-mlhlp1030/mac

In your case, since you're transferring mailboxes between Mail apps, the first choice is appropriate.

Sep 3, 2019 6:21 AM in response to tkadell

If you used Mail in SnowLeopard and upgraded to Mojave OS, without deleting or anything of the "old" mails, Mojave will convert and put all mails in the V6 mailbox(es) automatically. It may take some time depending on how many mails you have in the (old, V1) mailbox. After this you have about the same space occupied by mails.

Sep 3, 2019 9:33 AM in response to Marco Klobas

I'm importing mailboxes from the Library/Mail on a 9-year old iMac running macOS Snow Leopard. It does not have a folder named V6.

I spoke to support at Apple and he said to import the mailboxes in box format. That contradicts the information you included above, since I'm not importing from a Windows or UNIX computer.

Apple Support has given me incorrect information in the past so I wanted to ask the Support Communities to make sure before I do it.

Sep 3, 2019 9:42 AM in response to Lexiepex

I didn't upgrade to macOS Mojave. I have a new iMac with Mojave and want to import mailboxes from a 2009 iMac running macOS Snow Leopard. The 2 options are: Import data from Apple Mail or import data in mbox format. Even Apple Support is unsure about which one to use! That's why I posted my question with Support Communities.

Sep 3, 2019 9:54 AM in response to tkadell

Everyone is unsure because you are trying to import emails/file system which was completely different 9 years ago and has been changed several times since. I did this once in 10.10 or 10.12 and had to dig into the sub folders to literally do one email at a time. So, I'd try the mbox method, but success is not guaranteed. Best way probably is to send yourself all those emails to an online account where you will have access from your new Mac.

Sep 3, 2019 11:17 AM in response to Marco Klobas

Yes, the Mac with Snow Leopard is working fine. I saved the Mailboxes onto an external drive and then saved them onto the Desktop of my new Mac running Mojave. And yes, there is an .mbox for every mailbox. Each .mbox folder has within it the following: Attachments Folder, Info.plist, and Messages Folder. I'm not sure I can import just one mailbox, but I will give it a try.

Sep 3, 2019 11:38 AM in response to Marco Klobas

Success! Here is what I did:

I tried importing a mailbox as an mbox file and got an error message saying "no valid mbox files were found".

I then tried importing as an Apple Mail file and got an error message. So I selected and imported BOTH mailbox folders for the same folder using Apple Mail, for example Pending and Pending.mbox, and I got the message: "You can find the imported mailboxes in the folder named Import in the Mailboxes list" which is under On My Mac.

Trail and error paid off! Thank you!!

Importing Mailboxes in Apple Mail from Snow Leopard to Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.