You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Block text message

I want to block a caller from calling and texting. If that caller is not in my contacts, but I have the phone number, can I block calls and texts without receiving a call or a text? I know how to do it if I get a call or text, but I can't find a way to block a caller/texter if I have the phone number but have not received a call or text.

iPhone XS

Posted on Sep 6, 2019 6:06 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2019 3:12 PM

Two ways...

1. There are third party apps on App store that can do this for you. OR
  2. Add the phone number to you Contacts and block it.

Manage your blocked phone numbers and contacts

To see the phone numbers and contacts that you've blocked from Phone, FaceTime, or Messages:

Phone

Go to Settings > Phone > Call Blocking & Identification [Scroll Down to the bottom]

FaceTime

Go to Settings > FaceTime > Blocked.

Go to Settings > Messages > Blocked.

From these screens, you can add or unblock contacts or unblock phone numbers. 

To add a contact from Phone, go to Settings > Phone > Call Blocking & Identification > Block Contact. Then tap the contact that you want to block. To add a contact from Messages or FaceTime, go to Settings > Messages or Settings > FaceTime, scroll down and tap Blocked, tap Add New, then select the contact that you want to block. To unblock a contact or phone number, swipe left over the number, then tap Unblock.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 6, 2019 3:12 PM in response to jla930

Two ways...

1. There are third party apps on App store that can do this for you. OR
  2. Add the phone number to you Contacts and block it.

Manage your blocked phone numbers and contacts

To see the phone numbers and contacts that you've blocked from Phone, FaceTime, or Messages:

Phone

Go to Settings > Phone > Call Blocking & Identification [Scroll Down to the bottom]

FaceTime

Go to Settings > FaceTime > Blocked.

Go to Settings > Messages > Blocked.

From these screens, you can add or unblock contacts or unblock phone numbers. 

To add a contact from Phone, go to Settings > Phone > Call Blocking & Identification > Block Contact. Then tap the contact that you want to block. To add a contact from Messages or FaceTime, go to Settings > Messages or Settings > FaceTime, scroll down and tap Blocked, tap Add New, then select the contact that you want to block. To unblock a contact or phone number, swipe left over the number, then tap Unblock.

Block text message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.