You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External USB Hard Drive not mounting in Mojave on 2017 MacBook Pro

I have a 2017 MacBook Pro, which only has USB-C ports. I have some hard drives with USB 2.0 cables connected to USB hubs that won't mount. I can see the drive listed in Disk Utility, but I cannot mount the drive(s).

I can mount the drives on an old 2010 MacBook that I have, but I really need to access the files on this and other drives on my newer MacBook Pro. Does anyone have a full proof solution to this? I've read so many threads and tried a bunch of Terminal commands with no success. Please! Help!

Posted on Sep 6, 2019 10:44 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2019 6:03 PM

Have you tried the other USB-C ports on the laptop?

Tried an SMC reset and PRAM reset (hold the PRAM reset for a full minute so it activates several times).

Have you tried using just a USB-C to USB-A adapter? Or tried another brand of hub? Does your hub have its own power supply?

Similar questions

2 replies

External USB Hard Drive not mounting in Mojave on 2017 MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.