You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mail can't receive specific mails that I get OK on iPhone

Using the Mail app, my Mac is unable to receive a couple of email IDs that show up just fine on my iPhone and iPad. Junk Mail Filtering is enabled, but set to "Mark as junk mail, but leave it in my inbox." Mail from those problem IDs, however, doesn't appear in either the inbox or junk folder, even though it shows up on the iPhone & iPad. That means it can't be iCloud filtering and must be specific to the Mac.

I also use Rules to automatically delete suspicious emails from domains in other countries (.ru, .it, etc.). In the Mail app, when I searched for one of the problem IDs, I got a dozen or so matches, but they were all from 2014 or earlier. There must be some file, probably a hidden file, that contains these problem IDs and blocks them. I tried using Finder to search, including hidden files, for one of the problem IDs, but there was no hit at all.

I might just ignore this problem if it were just a friend, telling him to send to my wife's ID and having her forward his email to me. But now I find that one of the problem IDs is used as an alert from my bank. Missing an important alert could be serious, because I rarely check email on my phone.

I'm out of ideas and hope someone can help.

Posted on Sep 7, 2019 3:58 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2019 8:07 PM

Your advice helped me discover the problem, because it narrowed me down to a rule setup to auto-delete emails from suspicious locations like China (.ch) and Romania (.ro). The email of a friend is brian.rose@ ... so the .ro was mistaken for Romania. The Chase Bank email ID included .chase.com. The .ch was mistaken for China. Removing those two rules solved the problem. WHEW. Thanks

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 8, 2019 8:07 PM in response to BDAqua

Your advice helped me discover the problem, because it narrowed me down to a rule setup to auto-delete emails from suspicious locations like China (.ch) and Romania (.ro). The email of a friend is brian.rose@ ... so the .ro was mistaken for Romania. The Chase Bank email ID included .chase.com. The .ch was mistaken for China. Removing those two rules solved the problem. WHEW. Thanks

Sep 9, 2019 8:14 AM in response to WayneCaswell

That rules-based approach will never work reliably. Spammers change their formats, and routinely highjack their email sources; otherwise legitimate mail clients, and compromised mail servers, and installing spam engines onto whole systems.

The domain-based filtering approach you’re using will also never work reliably. There are thousands of new top-level domains coming online, too. Literally thousands of new top-levels. Some are reportedly already filled with spammers, too. You’ll be chasing ICANN new-domain genesis... forever.

Consider SpamSieve or some other statistics-based spam filter.

Mac Mail can't receive specific mails that I get OK on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.