You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac regularly not detecting mouse/ keyboard on startup

An occasional nuisance that has always existed with my iMac is that every-so-often, I'll start it up in the usual way and find that the password I'm typing is not appearing in the login screen. The iMac screen will then go off again after about 30 seconds as if there's no use, and then I will usually have to repeat this process two to five times before suddenly, with no warning the iMac recognises both items and I am able to login and carry on with no problems.

It's worth mentioning that when recognised/ under normal conditions the connection with the keyboard and mouse are completely fine - they almost never drop out of signal when logged in (and if they do it is only for a second). Similarly, because it is always BOTH devices that the iMac does not detect I am assuming it is an issue with the iMac rather than the devices. Turning the devices on and off again during these freeze-outs makes no difference to the iMac detecting them.

I couldn't really say how often this used to happen (maybe once a month or a bit less?) but it has happened for about the third time in as many weeks lately and is really becoming something I cannot tolerate any longer.

If anyone could help with this long-standing nuisance I'd be very grateful!!

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Sep 7, 2019 11:09 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2019 7:21 AM

Perhaps something in the first two sections of the follow Apple Support article will help.

see > If your Apple wireless mouse, keyboard, or trackpad isn't working as expected - Apple Support

If not, you can always pitch the fancy branded input devices and replace them with generic ones.

(Logitech, Macally and others make some decent input devices, personally I like and use Logitech)

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 8, 2019 7:21 AM in response to ccgo79

Perhaps something in the first two sections of the follow Apple Support article will help.

see > If your Apple wireless mouse, keyboard, or trackpad isn't working as expected - Apple Support

If not, you can always pitch the fancy branded input devices and replace them with generic ones.

(Logitech, Macally and others make some decent input devices, personally I like and use Logitech)

iMac regularly not detecting mouse/ keyboard on startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.