You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Install OS X on ssd prior to installation in MacBook Pro

Hi everyone

I’m helping out a friend to replace their hdd with a ssd. I’ll have the ssd for a week before she comes around and I was wondering if I could install OS X on the drive prior to installing it her Mid-2012/Early 2013

MacBook Pro. I’m looking to do this to save a bit of time when I’m replacing the drive.

I know how to install OS X on the ssd as if I was going to use it as an external boot drive, but I don’t know if it would then work when I installed in the MacBook Pro.

I have a SATA caddy that I can use.

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 8, 2019 2:19 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2019 3:51 AM

Yes that should work ok, but make a full back up before you do and don't wipe her original drive until you are absolutely positive that everything is working properly on the new SSD when it is installed on her Mac.

2 replies

Install OS X on ssd prior to installation in MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.