You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using 2008 iMac as an External Display for my 2016 MacBook Pro

Hi, so have had a 2008 iMac for a good while now and it has just been sitting in a another room collecting dust. While my 2016 MacBook Pro has been in repair (for the keyboard) these past couple days, I have once again grown fond of the huge 24-inch display on this iMac. So I was wondering if there was a way to connect my 2016 MacBook Pro to the 2008 iMac and use the iMac as an external display for my MacBook Pro.

I am aware that only models starting in 2009 were able to use the Target Display Mode, which kinda stinks. I also know that I would be unable to use the mini-DVI port. So I was wondering if there was another way (like through CAT5/Ethernet or maybe firewire) to do this and how I would go about doing so.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Tyler

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Sep 8, 2019 1:32 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2019 1:37 PM

Your question is asked almost daily and the answer is no it will not work and no there are no work arounds. Your 2008 iMac is a computer, not an external display for another computer. Please read Use your iMac as a display with Target Display Mode and this will tell you which iMacs will work and what connections they need, your 2008 iMac is not among them.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 8, 2019 1:37 PM in response to techguy5000

Your question is asked almost daily and the answer is no it will not work and no there are no work arounds. Your 2008 iMac is a computer, not an external display for another computer. Please read Use your iMac as a display with Target Display Mode and this will tell you which iMacs will work and what connections they need, your 2008 iMac is not among them.

Using 2008 iMac as an External Display for my 2016 MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.