You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keychain Password on my MAC

How do I find my Keychain password on my Mac, and how do I change it? I keep getting messages asking for it, and I don't know what it is?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Sep 12, 2019 8:26 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2019 10:40 PM

See the article https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT201609

In system preferences > users and groups , tap admin account and click on change password , if you enter the credentials the login password is changed , you can't find out keychain password in keychain access as it is encrypted , perhaps can only change it .

If you had further issues , post the screen shot of pop ups ( make sure you always hide mail address and photo ) before posting .Also clarify are you using 2FA or secondary authentication account .

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 12, 2019 10:40 PM in response to gcarl44

See the article https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT201609

In system preferences > users and groups , tap admin account and click on change password , if you enter the credentials the login password is changed , you can't find out keychain password in keychain access as it is encrypted , perhaps can only change it .

If you had further issues , post the screen shot of pop ups ( make sure you always hide mail address and photo ) before posting .Also clarify are you using 2FA or secondary authentication account .

Sep 14, 2019 9:01 AM in response to gcarl44

Normally, your keychain password is your user password unless you have changed the keychain password. You can go to System Preferences/Users & Groups, select your account, and then click change password. Resetting your password there should change the keychain password to your user password. After changing the password, go to the  menu and log out of your account. Then log back in. That should complete the password update.

Keychain Password on my MAC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.