You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Song shuffle

I have close to 9000 songs in my iPhone music library. When I shuffle songs I invariably here the same songs day after day. Sometimes the same song is repeated within a couple of hours even though I only have it once in my library. In other words, it is not on two different albums. Likewise I may have one album of an artist and I will here 2 or 3 songs from that artist within a couple of hours. I generally do not shut my iPhone off so I should think the shuffle algorithm should provide a more random selection of songs. Is there some setup I am missing that will provide a more random shuffle and not repeat artists or songs as frequently? In my mind a shuffle algorithm should shuffle through a list without repeating a song until the list is depleted or the program is interrupted and restarted. When I say interrupted I mean the phone is turned off and restarted not the music app. I believe the music app should retain its status in the background even when not in use.

iPhone 7

Posted on Sep 15, 2019 5:18 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2019 5:33 PM

It is random but sometimes it can help to turn shuffle off then back on again to mix it up

If the Music App isn’t responding 

Make sure your iOS software up to date

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 15, 2019 5:33 PM in response to ZekeBarker

It is random but sometimes it can help to turn shuffle off then back on again to mix it up

If the Music App isn’t responding 

Make sure your iOS software up to date

Song shuffle

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.