You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac freezing up

My cursor freezes up after the computer has set idle for a few minutes and I have to reboot to get it operational again. I tried another mouse, thinking it was a mouse problem, same result. When the computer freezes the keyboard appears to be non-operational as well.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Sep 16, 2019 3:40 PM

4 replies

Sep 16, 2019 4:41 PM in response to Dr-Phil

A Mac that becomes permanently unresponsive in "Safe Mode" usually implies a hardware fault: Contact Support to have it thoroughly evaluated. A faulty BT module is certainly possible.

Although it doesn't usually help, you might try reinstalling macOS, or just the most recent update.

Try the latter first: Download macOS Mojave 10.14.6 Combo Update

If that doesn't work: Reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Back up your Mac as a matter of course. To learn how to use Time Machine please read Back up your files with Time Machine on Mac.

iMac freezing up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.