You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to update my computer overall to 64 bit?

So is there a way to update my computer overall to a 64 or is my machine (MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012))going to be gradually more and more obsolete to the point of being unusable?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook

Posted on Sep 17, 2019 10:27 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2019 10:30 AM

You Mac, as all models for at least a dozen years, is 64 bit. The message you see warning of 32/64 bit compatibility is referring to a specific app on your Mac. If you decide to upgrade to Mac OS 10.15 or higher, that particular app(s) will no longer work.

4 replies

Sep 17, 2019 10:53 AM in response to Fredford

Fredford wrote:
Thank you! The innerds and all their functions are not always real clear to me so this is helpful! Thanks for responding!

There are ways to maintain 32-bit compatibility with an external bootable drive. You can clone your current drive and then run it as an external boot volume whenever you need it.

Is there a way to update my computer overall to 64 bit?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.