You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to create multiple iTunes Libraries

Attempting to name a new Library results in a dialogue box saying "The folder “name” could not be created. Please create a different folder." I get this every time.

My iTunes Folder is on same ext. HDD as my media. It was set-up by Apple support years ago.

Any ideas???

Posted on Sep 17, 2019 12:25 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2019 2:39 PM

What are the permissions of the folder you're trying to create the new iTunes library in? To see these, open a Finder window and then go to the folder where you're trying to create the new library -- highlight it and do a get-info command (Command+i) and at the bottom there is a permissions section -- expand it by clicking on the triangle to see a list of users and what permissions they have -- if your user does not have write permission to this folder then it needs to be added. If you can (without revealing any personal info), tell us the location of where this is and what the permissions it has (owners and their permissions) -- make up names (but be consistent) if any of this would reveal any personal info.

Good luck...

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 17, 2019 2:39 PM in response to exrobotguy

What are the permissions of the folder you're trying to create the new iTunes library in? To see these, open a Finder window and then go to the folder where you're trying to create the new library -- highlight it and do a get-info command (Command+i) and at the bottom there is a permissions section -- expand it by clicking on the triangle to see a list of users and what permissions they have -- if your user does not have write permission to this folder then it needs to be added. If you can (without revealing any personal info), tell us the location of where this is and what the permissions it has (owners and their permissions) -- make up names (but be consistent) if any of this would reveal any personal info.

Good luck...

Trying to create multiple iTunes Libraries

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.