You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes sync/songs purchased by multiple accounts

In the past this was not a problem, but since we got a new laptop I can no longer sync my complete iTunes library. Any songs that were purchased by my wife or daughter will not download to the new laptop so I can sync my full library. I still have the full library on my iPhone, but now I have no way to use iTunes on the laptop to add new songs purchased by my wife or daughter. Is there any way to get back to being able to download and sync all those other songs? I've already tried de-authorizing all old computers. That didn't work.

Just to be 100% clear: my iTunes library has always consisted of songs purchased by myself, my wife and daughter. If my wife or daughter ever made a purchase that I also liked, I copied the files into my library and synced them to my device. That always worked until this recent move to a new laptop. Now I can't transfer about 80 songs ... and it looks like it's all the songs that were purchased on my wife's or daughter's accounts.

iPhone 7

Posted on Sep 17, 2019 8:26 PM

Similar questions

8 replies

Sep 18, 2019 11:47 AM in response to Murf16

You might also see this post on erratic syncing.

You need to get all the content you want on your device into the library that you want to manage it with. iPhones can only be synced or manually managed from a single library. Any content that isn't connected to a locally stored copy of the file may be removed. This is different behaviour from that traditionally exhibited with manually managed iPods where content can be added at will from multiple libraries.

tt2

Sep 18, 2019 10:23 AM in response to Murf16

Family sharing applies to historic purchases, not just new ones. Apple devices are limited to protected media from up to five accounts. The computer must be authorized for each account in order to transfer protected media. Other purchases should be OK, although these may be excluded from iTunes Match/Apple Music. What is the exact error you run into when trying to sync with iTunes?

tt2

Sep 18, 2019 10:51 AM in response to turingtest2

Interesting. I thought from past experience that family sharing did not work retroactively, only on purchases made after sharing was established. I'll try that. (I still need to get our family accounts shared/linked.)

My exact problem is that iTunes will not download my iPhone's entire library to the new laptop. It refuses to download any songs purchased on my wife's or daughter's accounts. Which I understand ... it's just that was never an issue on previous laptops. I wasn't sure why it suddenly became an issue on this one. (And, as I said, it's not an authorizations issue, because I already addressed that.)

And even then it wouldn't be a big deal -- I still have the entirety of my library on my iPhone -- except iTunes also won't let me upload to my iPhone individual songs. It will only let me sync the entirety of the library on my new laptop. And that's no good because, as I noted before, the library on my laptop is incomplete. So if I sync to that, I'll be losing nearly 80 songs.

But I'll try the family sharing thing and see if that resolves the issue. If you have any other advice beyond that, I'm all ears. Thanks much!

Sep 18, 2019 12:56 PM in response to turingtest2

"You need to get all the content you want on your device into the library that you want to manage it with."

Right. And that's my problem ... iTunes on my laptop isn't letting me do that. It won't download from my iPhone any of the songs (about 80) that were purchased by my wife or daughter. Even though that was never a problem on previous computers we owned. That's what I'm trying to figure out.

On previous computers, everything that is currently on my iPhone also was downloaded into my iTunes library on the computer/laptop. We recently had to get a new computer, and now that's suddenly an issue. I can't download from my iPhone onto this laptop/into iTunes any song that was purchased by my wife or daughter. I want to get all the content on my device into my library. iTunes won't let me.

Sep 18, 2019 1:02 PM in response to Murf16

Transfer of purchases from device to library only works when the computer is authorized to the account in question. You can physically copy other content from one computer to another, or indeed copy the entire library complete with ripped media, playlists, play counts, etc. The link I posted above includes a link to a user tip on recovering all content from a device when the previous library isn't available.

tt2

Sep 18, 2019 8:46 PM in response to turingtest2

I think I have finally figured out what's going on here. This new laptop will only let me authorize one iTunes account at a time. That wasn't the case in previous computers we had. On those, we could set up different user accounts for the computer, and each account had its unique iTunes account. That's still the case on this new laptop -- we can create separate user accounts for the laptop -- but it's not letting us authorize more than one iTunes account at a time. Frustrating and disappointing. But I think that's the source of my issue.

iTunes sync/songs purchased by multiple accounts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.