You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with move from iPhone 8 Plus to XR

A couple of months ago I bought an XR phone but had to return it as I was unable to transfer my existing data across from an 8 Plus device because of a specific software update the 8 Plus had been given. Does anyone know if the iOS 12.4.1 update has fixed this issue ?

iPhone XR

Posted on Sep 19, 2019 8:21 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2019 8:23 AM

There was a short time frame where on certain devices the device receive an iOS version higher than what would be a new device out of the box. You can't restore an update from a device which is on a higher iOS than the device your moving to can run.

This was resolved with an update to all devices not long after and yes, you can now move from an iPhone 8 to a new phone. You could have done so a few months ago, actually.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 19, 2019 8:23 AM in response to AWD111

There was a short time frame where on certain devices the device receive an iOS version higher than what would be a new device out of the box. You can't restore an update from a device which is on a higher iOS than the device your moving to can run.

This was resolved with an update to all devices not long after and yes, you can now move from an iPhone 8 to a new phone. You could have done so a few months ago, actually.

Problem with move from iPhone 8 Plus to XR

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.