You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I upgrade the mini ipad 2 OS from 9.3.5 to 12?

iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi

Posted on Sep 19, 2019 8:48 AM

7 replies

Sep 19, 2019 8:57 AM in response to 12Tamara

Yes, if it really is a "2."

If it has been that long since you upgraded it, you may need to connect it to a computer running iTunes instead of updating "over the air." Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If iTunes does not show an update available, maybe you have an iPad mini 1, which is hardware-constrained to running no higher iOS version than 9.3.6 (9.3.6 on some cellular models). For help in getting a positive ID for your iPad model, please see this Apple article:

Identify your iPad model - Apple Support

Sep 19, 2019 8:59 AM in response to 12Tamara

The iPad Mini 2 is compatible with iOS 12 directly, so the update should show up in Settings->general->Software update.

If its not, you likely have an iPad Mini 1 and it cannot be updated beyond iOS 9.3.5

See here to identify your actual iPad Mini model: Identify your iPad model - Apple Support

If it is actually an iPad Mini 2, then you can try to update through iTunes on a computer instead: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.